|Home »» Marketing Consultant Job Description
Marketing Consultant Job Description
Marketing consultants or marketing management consultants are professionals who help organizations in their marketing goals. They are vital to an organizationís survival as marketing forms an integral, sometimes main, part of an organizations functioning. Marketing consultants are leaders and seasoned campaigners in their field. A marketing consultant is expected to possess deep knowledge of the market and what will work in the market. They offer advice to organizations with regard to marketing strategies to achieve marketing targets. A marketing consultant may operate singly or hire hundreds of consultants to work for their firm.
As markets have grown big, a marketing consultant now concentrates on specific markets. Hirers prefer the services of experts specializing in fields such as: IT industry, hospitality industry, media, consumer goods industry, pharmaceutical industry, automobile industry and recreation industry. Their duties are to:
1) Study the market condition for the product of the organization they have been hired to work for.
2) Look in to the functioning of the marketing department of the client.
3) Go through marketing reports and suggest methods of improvement.
4) Share their experience and knowledge in the field with marketing staff.
5) Hire new marketing professionals for the organization.
6) Train marketing personnel in various aspects of marketing.
7) Conduct workshops to improve marketing skills.
8) Work one-on-one with marketing executives having problems in performing.
9) Suggest removal of non performing staff.
10) Design new marketing methods.
11) Suggest methods of improving brand image.
12) Suggest ways to advertise for the product.
Knowledge and Experience:
1) Marketing consultants are experienced in marketing, especially in their field of specialization.
2) Complete knowledge of the current market. They know what works in the market and what does not.
3) Experts in basic marketing skills.
4) They are leaders and have great motivational power.
5) Top notch communication skills and presentation skills.
6) Proficiency in computer operation and presentation.
7) Should be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
Educational Qualification and Experience:
1) A bachelorís degree in business or economics. An MBA degree is highly preferred for a marketing consultant job.
2) Certification is not essential for a marketing consultant but it may help in improving job prospects. Certified Management Consultant (CMC) designation is conferred on people that clear an examination from the Institute of Management Consultant, USA.
3) Experience and career achievement enables marketing consultants to charge higher consulting fees.
Salaries and Benefits:
1) According to Payscale.com a marketing consultantís earnings range from $43, 946- $94, 812.
2) Freelance consultants may charge package fees depending on their expertise and the service offered.
3) Employed marketing consultants are entitled for benefits as fixed by their employers.