|Home »» Mechanical Engineer Job Description
Mechanical Engineer Job Description
Mechanical engineering is one of the oldest branches of engineering. It is also a very popular branch of engineering. A mechanical engineer deals with machines of all kinds. They are employed in factories and industries. Most of their working hours are spent on shop floors, work shops and tool rooms. They also work as technical support officers, sales officers and managers. As sales officers and managers they still deal with mechanical devices but their responsibilities are administrative and managerial.
A mechanical engineer will have to carry out various tasks related to machines in a factory or industry. They deal with a variety of machines including diesel generators, electric generators, boilers, turbines and internal combustion engines. Mechanical engineer job responsibilities are to:
1) Research, design, evaluate and develop machines and tools.
2) Install and maintain machines applying engineering principles.
3) Work with power producing as well as power generating equipment. Generators are power producing machines. Power using machines include: refrigeration and air conditioning machines. Elevators, escalators, material handling systems are some of the other power using machine that they have to work on.
4) Work on water, heat, gas, and steam operated machines and engines.
5) Study and analyze blue prints, technical drawings drawn with hand as well as computers and schematics.
6) Examine reasons of machine failure and locate exact problem. Suggest remedial measures and give repair instructions.
7) May have to oversee production function and ensure that production is taking place as per the set standards and procedures.
8) Help in hiring technicians and training them.
Knowledge and Skills
1) Must be abreast with latest trends in mechanical engineering.
2) Good knowledge of machines and tools that they will have to deal on a daily basis. They also must be familiar with tools that they may have to use occasionally.
3) Sound in all aspects of mathematics.
4) Aware of design tools and techniques.
Educational Qualification and Experience
1) A mechanical engineer must have a bachelorís degree in mechanical engineering.
2) A master degree in engineering is preferable but may not be essential.
3) Engineering engaged in government and public enterprises must have license and they are known as professional engineers (PEs).
Salaries and Benefits
1) According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, a mechanical engineer earns approximately in the range of $47,900 - $114,740.
2) They are entitled for benefits including health and medical benefits, life insurance, 401(k), paid leave and bonuses.