|Home »» Media Planner Job Description
Media Planner Job Description
We live in a world where every moment the media throws messages our way. Television, radios, bill boards, hoardings, emails, ads on the Internet and print ads – are all vying for our attention. Buyers’ choices are hugely influenced by the media. Spending on the media is a necessity that no business can afford to ignore. It is also imperative that businesses spend on the media in a planned manner reaching the target customers. A media planner has the responsibility of maximizing investment of businesses on advertisements in the media.
A media planner contributes to the brand promotion and advertisement needs of an organization. They may work on a freelance basis or work with organizations as employees. Media planner duties include:
1) Understand the organization’s business needs and design ad campaigns accordingly.
2) Decide whether to spend on a particular medium of advertisement or not. Should have knowledge of how much investment would be wise in a particular medium. For example: how much should be spent on TV ads, how much on Internet ads and how much on print ads etc.
3) Hire ad agencies to create different campaigns.
4) Give ad agencies clear and specific instructions regarding requirement.
5) Help in tailoring the ad campaign so as to reach more customers.
6) Work with ad designers to put all the necessary ingredients to make a successful ad content, jingle, film or message.
7) Hire event managers to conduct exhibitions and road shows.
8) Organize press meets and release news to the press.
9) Co-ordinate with the media for interviews and news releases.
Knowledge and Skills:
1) They must have thorough knowledge of the market for various products, customers’ tastes and preferences and buying habits.
2) Media planners must know which mode of media is the most powerful and suitable for a particular product or service.
3) Will have the privilege to work with creative people and hence must know how to gel with them.
4) Know which medium is costlier and which one is affordable.
5) Excellent communication skills.
6) Good networking ability.
Educational Qualifications and Experience:
1) A bachelor’s degree in advertising, communications, mass media and marketing is essential for a media planner’s job.
2) Internship with ad agencies during a college career may help in securing jobs.
Salary and Benefits:
1) According to Payscale.com an assistant media planner earns in the range of $29,611-$35,332. Senior media planners earn in the range of $47,685-$60,728.
2) Media planners are entitled to all the benefits that their employees fix for them.