|Home »» Network Technician Job Description
Network Technician Job Description
A Network Technician plans and implements computer networks for his/her employers. They are responsible for installing and maintaining LAN/WAN/MAN hardware and software technologies. A Network Technician follows company standards for configuring and installing routers and switches.
If you like working with the hardware and software systems, enjoy being in control of the entire network system of a company and like to maintain and operate machines, then a Network Technician Job is perfect for you. Following are the duties of a Network Technician.
1) Managing hardware, software, line scanners, optical scanners, microcomputers, line testers, voltmeters and other devices.
2) Operate network diagnosis.
3) Maintain network documents, material and supply inventories.
4) Organize daily schedules for network installations.
5) Maintains data records and filing systems.
6) Diagnose communication network problems.
7) Recommend solutions and improvement methods for installation procedures.
8) Troubleshoot problems when they arise.
9) Administer existing computer networks.
10) Install and certify network structures.
11) Establish effective communication with users
12) Maintain technical knowledge and skills that involve architecture, network design, troubleshooting, etc in network cabling
13) Repair and maintain printers, micro computers and other hardware devices.
14) Install network interface hubs, cards, routers and bridges.
15) Recommend correct measures of network addressing systems, layouts and configuration devices.
16) Design disaster recovery methods during emergencies.
Knowledge and Skills:
1) Knowledge of cabling needs for LAN/WAN speed communications.
2) Should be able to read and follow complicated instructions in the manual.
3) Accurate arithmetic calculation skills.
4) Should be able to operate a variety of office devices
5) Knowledge of existing industry trends and advancement in computer technology.
6) Should gain mastery over several operating systems like Unix, Windows and Novell NetWare.
7) Knowledge of network architecture models
8) Knowledge of transport protocols.
Educational Qualification and Experience:
1) Arts degree in Electronic Engineering or Applied Science and Technology
2) Any computer related degree.
3) Minimum 2 years experience as a Network technician installing and terminating fibre optic and copper cables.
4) Experience in configuring and installing hubs and routers.
Salary and Benefits:
1) Annual salary for Network Technician vary from $30,552 - $47,343 and includes bonus, profit sharing and commission percentages.
2) Some companies pay an annual salary as high as $66,000.
3) Hourly basis salary range from $12.78 to $20.17, over time salary is from $19.40 to $30.70.
4) Additional benefits include health insurance, dental and vision insurance.