Sales RepresentativeA Sales Representative works towards increasing the sales of a company's products or services and often works within a specific geographic area. This position exists across a wide variety of industries but is very popular in the information technology, insurance companies, electronic goods and other manufactured products industries.
If you have an outgoing personality, are able to interact with a wide variety of people and are looking for a job that would most likely involve travel, you might be suitable in the position of a Sales Representative. This role could involve selling to individuals or government agencies or business to business selling.
duties usually include:
1) Explaining features of a product or service to a potential customer or client, to generate an interest in the item.
2) Answering questions posed by the customer.
3) Making follow up calls to try to close the sale.
4) Negotiating the terms of the sale with the customer.
5) Generating new leads and following up on the same.
6) Participating in events such as trade fairs, seminars and exhibitions in an attempt to generate more sales.
7) Maintaining files and records on customers.
8) Providing market feedback to the sales promotion and marketing departments.
Knowledge and Skills:
1) In depth understanding of the product or service that he or she will be selling as well as of the company's philosophy.
2) Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
3) The ability to take rejection in his stride but to stay in pursuit of the goal.
4) A professional attitude and one that is in keeping with the company's principles, as he/she is the face of the company.
Educational Qualifications and Experience:
1) A Bachelor's degree is the preferred Sales Representative qualification, usually in Marketing or another business related subject.
2) Experience requirements vary depending on the job.
3) In some industries certain certifications such as Licensed Real Estate Salesperson, National Associated of Security Dealers or Licensed Health Insurance Agent may be preferred.
Salary and Benefits:
1) Hourly rates and annual salaries of Sales Representatives are generally between $10 - $25 and $30,000 - $70,000 respectively, with commissions at a rate of 5% - 10%. In some industries, such as information technology salaries could be higher.
2) A Sales Representative usually receives benefits such as paid sick leave and vacation time, 401(k), a company cell phone, life and disability insurance and training reimbursement.